Filmmaker, Kunle Afolayan is never one to rush a project and his new movie “Mokalik” is one of such projects. Already, the film is one of the most anticipated films of 2019 and it has started its tour of all the major film festivals before its official release.
Featuring actors like Femi Adebayo, Fathia Williams, Abdulateef Adedimeji, Samuel Oludayo Akinpelu, Charles Okocha, Wake Akorede, Samuel Ajibola, Simisola Ogunleye and Tobi Bakre, “Mokalik” is set in an actual mechanic village (an automobile repair shop).
According to Kunle Afolayan, there are some important things you would need to know about the new movie. Here are a few:
- The inspiration for the movie came after Afolayan visited a mechanic village seeking repairs for an antique car. His experience after spending a full day at the location coupled with positive feedback from his fans ignited the need to shoot a film based on that.
2. Simi and Tobi Bakre came on board for amazing reasons. Tobi was cast a role in the movie because Afolayan thought him to be a “natural talent” but songstress, Simi was not even in the picture till the film’s writer, Tunde Babalola wrote her character into the film. She came on board and killed it.
3. “Mokalik’s” lead character was played by new entrant and Afolayan’s nephew Toni Afolayan. Although he is new to acting, he is not a greenhorn in the world of movies.
4. The film was shot with a Canon EOS C300 Mark II camera. A completely new experience for Afolayan as he wanted a new cinematic experience and found the camera to be more suitable.
5. The full post-production except from colouring and grading was done in Nigeria. Kudos!
6. “Mokalik” follows the story of an 11-year-old boy, Ponmile, from the middle-class suburbs, whose parents decided to help him find his path in life as an apprentice at an mechanic workshop.
Watch trailer below: