There are a lot of writing contests out there for young and emerging writers. These contests are not just meant to reward good writing, they are also meant to help emerging writers hone their skills, in a world of growing complexities and possibilities.
So here is a brief rundown of some writing contest, every young writer should give a try:
- Broken River Prize: The Broken River Prize is an annual poetry chapbook contest from Platypus Press. The contest comes with $250 prize and a publication in 2020. This year’s judge is poet and teacher Airea D. Mathews. Deadline for this contest is July 31st, 2019. Full guidelines for this contest could be found at: platypuspress.co.uk/brp.
- Contest Feed Us Writing: This writing contest requires no entry fee. It comes with an award of a $100 and a publication of the winning story their first print anthology entitled; ‘Hunger.’ For details please visit: brilliantflashfiction.com.
- Nimrod’s Francine Ringold Awards for New Writers: The Ringold Awards offer a prize of $500 and publication to winning writers in any genre. The contest is open to writers across the globe. Submit up to five pages for poetry and for fiction, one short story of not more than 5,000 words. All finalists will be published and paid. Deadline for submission is – July 15th, 2019. However, entry fee of $12 applies. Mail your manuscripts to – nimrodjournal.submittable.com/submit. For complete rules pleases visit: nimrod.utulsa.edu.
- American Fiction Prize: This is an annual prize that promises a $1,200 prize money and publication by the sponsors, New American Press. Submit a collection of short stories, a novella (or collection of novellas), or a novel of at least one-hundred pages (no maximum). For complete guidelines please visit: newamericanpress.submittable.com/submit.
- Autumn House Press: Submit full length manuscripts in poetry, fiction and nonfiction. Each winner receives the sum of $2,500 to be given in two batches. $1,000 advance against royalties and a $1,500 travel/publicity grant to promote the book. Deadline for submission – June 30th, 2019. Also, a $30 reading fee applies. To submit please visit: autumnhouse.org.
- Tidbits: Submit a one page story of 500 words, on the theme of wishes. Deadline for submission – August 30th, 2019. First place prize – $300, second place – $100, third place – $50. Send submissions to: [email protected] OR www.tidbitswriting.com.